Nykredit's environmental policy is based on our business concept of Financial Sustainability. Financial Sustainability promises balance and lasting relations.
The impacts on the environment are a serious challenge to society. Being one of Denmark's largest financial businesses, we share a responsibility for contributing to a long-term environmental response.
We are working to improve the environment:
- Through dialogue to motivate our staff, suppliers and customers to consider the environment
- By always containing Nykredit's own environmental impact
- By including environmental aspects in the development of products, concepts and advisory services, whenever relevant.
We have identified the following focus areas in respect of the Group's environmental efforts:
In-house environmental activities
Our in-house environmental activities focus on:
- Developing and supporting Nykredit's values, principles and competences relating to the environment
- Systematic follow-up on Nykredit's environmental policy through an internal environmental management system, which is also to ensure that targets are set for our initiatives
- Environmentally conscious purchasing of goods and services
- Enhancing awareness of Nykredit's environmental activities through reporting and other communication.
Customers and products
Customer-oriented activities focus on:
- Including environmental considerations in our daily work whenever relevant
- Developing concepts, products and advisory services stimulating the environmental awareness and investments of our customers and primary stakeholders.
Climate initiatives and partnerships
Society-oriented activities focus on:
- Supporting communication and the employment of new green knowledge and technology
- Sharpening focus on the environment through partnerships, sponsorships and dialogue with our stakeholders.
In 2013 the environmental policy will be revised according to Nykredit's environmental strategy up to 2020.
Reduction of CO2 emission
The main focus of the new strategy is a 65% reduction of Nykredit's total CO2 emission relative to the 2012 levels. Of this figure, the contribution from the Danish Parliament's Energy Agreement 2020 will be in the region of 25%. In the customer area, Nykredit will, by implementing own initiatives and by joining forces with key participants in the area, incorporate environmental aspects as a natural part of our business activities.
Purchasing sustainable products
The environmental measures will be specified in 2013. Nykredit already focuses on purchasing sustainable products that cause the least impact on the environment from manufacturing to disposal. Ecolabels such as the Nordic Ecolabel (the Swan) and the EU Ecolabel (the Flower) are used as guides.